to 2,000 m above sea level
- The oldest pasture of Austria --
11th Century, first mentioned.
In mid-July, the alpine flora is still in full bloom
and one can see on every piece of earth
Of course we are happy to help
Tour suggestions for day trips
The Defereggen Valley in East Tyrol is a diamond in the National Park Hohe Tauern. Its
three villages Hopfgarten, St. Veit and St. Jakob form one of the most known holiday regions
The holiday destination north of the Deferegger Alps is proud to still have unspoilt areas that
kept mass tourism away. Here, on the so called south balcony of the Alps, you can find the
golden eagle hunting, enjoy fresh alpine buttermilk and be spoiled by the friendly local hosts.
The Defereggen Valley is waiting for you with its special features, such as the
“Jagdhausalmen”, akind of ancient alpine farming works in this alpine region. These huts,
built of stone, are the oldest in Austria and their existence has already been documented in
the 13th century.
Deep in the valley you have most beautiful Cembra pine woods. The “Oberhauser
Zirbenwald” is the East Alps most famous, and largest enclosed woodland of this type.
Details about the valley, its inhabitants and their culture you can learn best from the rangers
of the National Park. In summer guided tours are regularly on offer.
- over 350 km of hiking trails in various difficulties
- over 60 mountains over 3000m height surround the Defereggen valley
- 5 experimental hiking paths in the Defereggen valley with different issues: animals,
nature, history, …
- different paths in various difficulties in the Defereggen valley
- Special: “Around the Rieserferner” – round course from East Tyrol to Italy and back.
- possible in the “Obersee”, a lake on hight altitude (2000 m a.s.l.)
PLAYGROUNDS FOR THE CHILDREN